Saturday, November 16, 2013

Thirty Days of Thanksgiving- Day 16

Today I am stealing my thanksgiving from my daughter. We were discussing what mommy was doing the other day and Taryn pipes up " I am grateful for Jodi... because she gave me brothers." She is so very right and so today I am grateful for Jodi.... because she has given me two amazing step sons.
Codie and Keagan are an incredibly important part of my life. I love them as much as I love any of my own children. Our relationship is different, because I am not their mother. Jodi is, and that is a position of great honor. I can never take her place in her children's lives... and I wouldn't want to. As a mother myself I know that I would fight tooth and nail if anyone thought that they were going to take that place for me. I am the boys stepmother.... and I cultivate a relationship with those two boys that different from that of my own children... but no less amazing.
Jodi shares these kids with me. She got us information to go to the football games when Keagan was playing. She invited us to his birthday party at her house. She goes to lengths to make sure that we can be a part of his life. This is very important to me as that young man is a brother to my young daughters. Family is so important, it is in my mind the true measure of wealth.
Our relationship has not always been an easy one. There has had to be a lot of healing on all sides of the equation. Still Jodi and I are forging a friendship for which I am grateful for. I feel that it can only be good for two young men who we both love so much. I am so very grateful for both Jodi and her mother Lauren: two people who mean the world to two boys I love dearly, two people who have worked to make sure that those boys have a relationship with our family. In doing so, they have created a relationship with our family that is very appreciated. Today I brought home little gifts from Jodi that she purchased while out and about because she was thinking of the girls. That is pretty Awesome if you ask me, and something I am entirely grateful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment