Monday, November 25, 2013

Thirty Days of thanksgiving- Days 23 24 and 25

I have fallen victim to this nasty illness first my mother and then my children wanted to share. So Sat and Sun and today... I have no voice. Or what I do have is gravelly and less than beautiful. I have been so tired and run down. Still it hasn't all been bad. It never is. Even though I want to climb into bed and pull the covers over my head.. I can't because my husband already has... and SOMEONE has to watch the kids. ( don't worry he 1. knows this is true... and 2.  never reads my blog ... so he won't get his feelings hurt) {oooh snarky... gotta watch for that when I get to feeling like crap even the girls and keagan noticed yesterday}.... so on to Thanks giving .... or at least giving thanks.
For my 23 thing I am grateful for yarn. As many of you may know my addiction to yarn began when I was in highschool. My mother taught me to knit at the ripe age of like 11 and it took me a couple of years to get into the swing of it.... but once I did... whoo hoo baby! My granny taught me to crochet when I was 18. And I found that knitting and crochet healed my soul. It helped to bring me back to the center. I taught myself how to embroider..... and again something that brings such peace and contentment to me. I had to quit doing all of them when my babies were little. I couldn't do anything with any sort of pattern... because I could only knit two stitches at a time before I had to go and save a kid from something. So I took a break rather than get frustrated over something I had control over. During those dark days my yarn stash actually got relegated to the storage unit 1.5 miles AWAY from my home. It was not a good time. My stash suffered from terrible neglect. My step son Codie even suggested that if I weren't going to use the yarn... maybe his grandma could... she crochets. Forgive him... he had no idea.
I have been able to pick up my yarn and start making things again... and it is saving me. It brings me to peace again. What is better is that I am selling the things I make which makes me feel even better about it. I have always hesitated to call my "handiwork" art... because it doesn't really qualify as fine art. I am not working with pen and paper, or oil and canvas.... the items I make often have a functionality to them rather than being art for art's sake. And yet.... it makes me feel so wonderful when something I have envisioned comes to fruition and I have a functional piece of art. The process frees me in a way that is hard to explain fully. I am watching my ideas come to be... and I am praying that I can make that into a functional method of sustaining my family. Fiber ( the technical word for yarn and thread and the like) is to me as.... chocolate is to other souls. I love it... and I love making with it.... and I love sharing what I have made.
Day 24 I am grateful for music. I am not a person who knows too much about the current trend. My step son asked me if I like Bruno Mars in the car the other day and I had to admit I didn't know who that was. I simply don't listen to music of that nature.... now there are a lot of names from an entirely different era that I can wax poetic about. Bela Fleck, Victor Wooton, Doc Watson, Johnny Cash, Vassar Clements... Miles Davis, Thelonious Monk, John Coltrane, Beethoven, Mozart, Tchaikovsky, Utah Phillips, Stan Rogers, Lunasa, Eileen Ivers, Karan Casey... the list could go on for pages. I love music... I love how I can find the right item to fit my mood. I love how when it is storming if you put on Chopin it sets a mood that is dark and somehow charged with energy. I love that when traditional Irish music is put on your foot gets to tapping and it is hard NOT to move. I love when I put on The Nutcracker my little girls start practicing their ballet. I do not tend to listen to the radio... I have NO idea what the newest trend it. I love putting on music and knitting..... it is the best of both worlds and when combined with coffee... it is a slice of heaven. It speaks to me in a way that nothing else in the world can.... and I am so grateful for it.
And today it is snowing out... The first one that is going to stick for a bit. This is the end of our year.... we are blessed enough to have a spring filled with beautiful flowers... a Summer that allows for great growing, an Autumn that is filled with bounty and colors, and a winter of snow and ice. I am so grateful for the seasons here. I am so grateful for the change and the color and the beauty. Every season has a wonder attached to it. Every season has a unique beauty.
In some areas of the world they do not have the seasons like we do here. And while I would love to have 70 degree weather in Jan and Feb when we have a stretch of below zero weather.... I wouldn't trade it and give up snow on Christmas and sledding down Hospital Hill. I wouldn't trade it and miss the leaves changing color and raking them up for the kids to jump into. I wouldn't trade and miss the first blooms of spring and the cheer that it brings to your heart. I love the changing of the season. I love the new and different feelings that each season brings. I love sitting near the window with my knitting and some jazz in the background with a hot cup of tea watching the snow fall on us. It is the very definition of peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment